Winner of the Healthcare Asia Medtech Awards 2022
Disinfectant Against Human Coronavirus Poised to Revolutionise Infection Control
The coronavirus pandemic has left many institutions concerned and multitudes of people wary of enclosed and crowded areas. However, it is inevitable that we will find ourselves in spaces where there are viruses and bacteria that can cause infectious diseases.
Unmet Need for Control of Airborne Infectious Diseases
There are control measures in place to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, however many prevention and control solutions that we see being used today focus on droplet and contact transmission.
There is a lack of effective control measures against airborne diseases (that can be spread as small particles suspended in the air).1
Non-touch Disinfection of Wide Spaces
Nipro Corporation, one of the leading manufacturers of medical devices and pharmaceuticals in the world, presents a possible solution in the fight against airborne diseases with its new human coronavirus (OC43) sterilising agent, the ionless hypochlorous acid water (HOCl), CL Fine®.*1,2 CL Fine® can inactivate virus and bacteria, thus it may help decrease the risk of spread of some infectious diseases.1-5 In its liquid form, CL Fine® can inactivate SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the Covid 19 epidemic.1,3
CL Fine® can also be deployed in the air as aerosol mists to help create a clean space.1-5 A non-touch disinfection study of a hospital room that had test bacteria showed that atomised or aerosol CL Fine® is up to 99.999% effective. # 4
Another non-touch disinfection study has also shown that humidification with CL Fine® reduced airborne human coronavirus HCoV-OC43, [which is the same type as the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) implicated in COVID-19], by 99.78%.^ 2,5
NIPRO’s Technological Innovation
NIPRO has advanced technological capabilities to generate the ionless hypochlorous acid water or “HOCl”.1,2 HOCl has antimicrobial and antiviral activities,1-7 and a powerful disinfectant effect as it penetrates through the microorganism’s cell membranes and exert its action that renders microorganisms inactive.1-4 The safety of HOCl has also been demonstrated.9
Although the benefits of HOCl are well accepted, its use is limited to the liquid form due to its instability. 9 Conventional production creates the unstable HOCl which decomposes easily and rapidly, losing its strength over time.9
NIPRO has leveraged ionless technology in the development of a unique HOCl solution that is now commercially available as CL Fine®. CL Fine® can be safely used in both liquid and aerosol (mist) forms and is effective for the disinfection of spaces and surfaces against some viruses and bacteria.1-5
Impact on Society and in Healthcare
NIPRO’s CL Fine® non-touch disinfection solution against airborne contagious diseases bridges the gap in infection control.1-5 Since its introduction in Japan in September 2020, more than 2,000 facilities in the country have implemented CL Fine®, 55% of which are medical facilities (hospital/clinic), 30% are pharmacies, and the rest are facilities such as corporate offices. This serves as testament that CL Fine® truly meets the needs of consumers in our pandemic-ridden societies.
CL Fine® Atomizer
*CL Fine® is a trademark of Nipro Corporation.
* Product has a concentration of active ingredient hypochlorous acid (HOCL) of 30ppm.
^The effective CL Fine® concentration sprayed into space was approximately 0.02 ppm.
#Five (5) hours to achieve an effective chlorine concentration in air of 0.03 to 0.05 ppm. Disinfection rates were lower for petri dishes located near windows and doors, and relatively high for those located at the bedside, table, and other locations in the centre of the room.
- Kawamura N, Fuketa H, Saitoh T, Shinkai N, Mitsuhashi M, Shioyama T, Sudo Y, Taniguchi M and Sano Y. Brief Communication on Characterization of a New Type of Hypochlorous Acid Solution: Effectiveness on Airborne Bacteria and Phage, Aerial-Spraying Safety, and Inactivation Effect against SARS-CoV-2. 24 November 2020.
- Nipro Press Release. Notice of Results of Human Coronavirus (OC43) Sterilization Performance Test by Humidification Using Ionless™ Hypochlorous Acid Water “CL Fine®”. August 18, 2021
- Kubo M, Kitasato H. Verification of the Inactivating Effect of IonlessTM Hypochlorous Acid Water on SARS-CoV-2. Presented at the 36th Annual Conference of the Japanese Society for Infection Prevention and Control. 19 September 2021. Nagoya, Japan.
- Miyazaki N, Mikamo H. Effect of Non-touch Disinfection Using IonlessTM Hypochlorous Acid Water. Presented at the 36th Annual Conference of the Japanese Society for Infection Prevention and Control. 19 September 2021. Nagoya, Japan.
- Data on file.
- Rossi‐Fedele G, Guastalli AR, Doğramacı EJ, Steier L, De Figueiredo JA. Influence of pH changes on chlorine‐containing endodontic irrigating solutions. International endodontic journal. 2011 Sep;44(9):792-9.
- Takeda Y, Matsuda S, Jamsransuren D, Ogawa H. Comparison of the SARS-CoV-2-inactivating activities of the differently manufactured hypochlorous acid water products with various pH. Journal of Water and Health. 2021 Jun;19(3):448-56.
- Okamoto N, Bito T, Hiura N, Yamamoto A, Iida M, Baba Y, Fujita T, Ishihara A, Yabuta Y, Watanabe F. Food Additives (Hypochlorous Acid Water, Sodium Metabisulfite, and Sodium Sulfite) Strongly Affect the Chemical and Biological Properties of Vitamin B12 in Aqueous Solution. ACS omega. 2020 Mar 10;5(11):6207-14.
- USDA. Hypochlorous Acid. Available at https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Hypochlorous%20Acid%20TR%2008%2013%2015.pdf. Accessed on 22 October 2021.